VegWeb Chocolate Cake

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

So, this morning I woke up and felt the need to bake chocolate cake, don't ask why, I just had this very strong inclination too.  So, after parousing the vegan recipe websites I came across a few on VegWeb that had some good reviews...i decided to pick The Ultimate PMS Chocolate Cake...mainly because it was quick and easy and I was on a time constraint to get to running. Anyways....after taking it out of the oven and testing it sans frosting I wasn't very impressed.  This cake is very dense, not fluffy, and it isn't sweet enough for my taste buds, I personally wouldn't recommend making it.



On another note,  I made some great Pumpkin Date muffins yesterday. These, I highly recommend making. There not to unhealthy and the recipe is very simple.



Pumpkin Date Muffins
2 c dates, chopped
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c corn meal
3/4 c granulate sugar (i substituted agave, you can also use brown rice syrup)
1 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground cloves
1 c canned pumpkin puree
5 T apple sauce
2 t grated orange zest (i leave this out occassionally)
3 T. water

1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly coat muffin pans with vegetable oil spray.
2. In bowl mix dry ingredients then add dates.
3. In separate bowl mix wet ingredients. Then add to the dry using the muffin method to combine.
4. Bake until tester inserted in center comes out clean. I've found it usually takes between 10-15 minutes depending on the type of oven.

Hopefully you all enjoy this recipe and are enjoying your holiday festivities.

Cold in Chicago

2 comments:

Just Us said...

YUM YUM YUM...I never thought about putting dates in my pumpkin muffins....sounds very good though!
That chocolate cake is calling my name! :o)

The Edgy Vedgy said...

the dates are definitely worth it i love replacing raisins with them or adding them both in!

Post a Comment