The Chicago Diner

Monday, March 7, 2011

So, it’s been quite awhile since I’ve been able to be present in the vegan blogosophere….I have found that being a student-athlete, president of a club, double major at a top twenty university tends to suck all of my free time while I’m at school.  Besides that I’ve had quite a bit of personal stuff I’ve been (attempting) to sort out….So, I have quite a few reviews and just some miscellaneous rants to take care of while I’m home for spring break.

There is only one word I can think of to describe The Chicago Diner: marvelous.  The Chicago Diner is a vegan's heaven, and rightfully so.  My birthday was last Tuesday (March 1st) and in order to celebrate with my family they planned a day of gluttony downtown Chicago at the best vegan restaurant in town.  For those who have never heard of The Chicago Diner you need to check it out and for those of you who live in or near Chicago you MUST go.  Lastly, for those of you traveling to any place in Northern Illinois…make the trek….it’s SO worth it. 

I didn’t get to many pictures of the food in as our camera died but I definitely have a list of all of the foods that I tried.  But, as a side note it’s important to know that my whole family that attended are all meat and potato loving people so this experience for them was very new. 

As soon as we sat down I ordered a few cinnamon rolls, the mozzarella sticks, and a chocolate chip cookie dough shake. . . all of which were AMAZING.  The mozzarella sticks were the highly sought after version made by Teese and let me tell ya; nobody lies when they say these are heaven.  After we all scarfed down those some of my family members went ahead and ordered the seitan buffalo wings, the potato skinz, the chips and guacamole, and some more miscellaneous flavored shakes.  Everyone loved the appetizers and I was so thankful they all weren’t grossed out by the solely veg food…it was great to see a family of people who never really eats outside their comfort zone support me and eat like me for a day, well meal. 

Back to the food….so, personally, I have missed biscuits and gravy SO much.  I never used to eat it with the sausage so it was always sausage-less but I still have yet to find a recipe for gravy that comes close. To fix this sadly missing aspect of my life I ordered a side of their biscuits and gravy…..BEST THING ON THE MENU. The sausage was to die for and the gravy was so close to the gravy my mom used to make for me….the biscuits were herbed and they were the perfect combination of crunchiness and softness. 

By the time we ordered our appetizers I was extremely full, but I ordered something anyways so I could take it home.  Almost everyone seemed to ordered the famous Reuben sandwich, I ordered the seitan gyro, there were some typical breakfast foods ordered (since it was brunch time), and my mom ordered the country fried steak and mashed potatoes—which I finished up for her at dinner.  I didn’t get to try the Reuben because they all put dairy cheese on it…but my gyro was to die for as well as my mom’s country fried steak.  For desert we had the chocolate mousse cake which was very good, but hard to eat after being so full so it currently is sitting in our refrigerator waiting to be eaten.  My parents even bought me a Chicago Diner tee-shirt which I will be wearing in the near future (as soon as I can find a cute red tank top to wear with my leggings).

Needless to say my time at The Chicago Diner was AMAZING…I celebrated my birthday with close friends and family, enjoyed GREAT food, and even got to do a little shopping in my favorite city of all time…I can’t wait for grad school I hope I’ll be relocating to the windy city. 

Oh yes, I almost forgot, if you have so intelligently now chosen to go to The Chicago Diner after reading this make sure you ask for Miles to be your waiter he was SOOOOOOOO nice and very cute :] 

Hopefully I will have some pictures later on this week as soon as my mom uploads them to her computer.

Good to be back my fellow veg-friends…I have missed you all immensely.

< 3 S 

0 comments:

Post a Comment